A delicious tutorial.
2. What you’ll need:
• Paint Brushes
• Watercolor paper
• 1 Cup
• 1 Plate
• Your favorite chocolate- and vanilla-based Ben & Jerry ice cream flavors, plus Red Velvet Cake.
• A printed black-and-white image for reference
3. Step 1: Print out a black-and-white picture of your favorite celebrity.
In my case, it’s Steve Buscemi. Having it in black and white will help you see the different values easier.
4. Step 2: Do a rough pencil sketch.
Be sure to notice where the dark areas and shadows are and outline them.
5. Step 3: Spoon out your “paint” on to a plate.
You need a little light- and dark-colored ice cream along with a pinkish-hued one. You don’t HAVE to use Ben & Jerry’s brand, but I find it the best for eating while working. Be sure to eat a couple spoonfuls during this step.
6. Step 4: Block in the shadows.
Using a medium-size brush, block in the shadows of your painting with chocolate ice cream. You can mix in water as you go if the ice cream isn’t melty enough yet.
7. Step 5: Paint in smaller dark details.
Using a small brush, paint in the darker details with more chocolate ice cream. Continue layering, until a darkness levels feels right…happy little details.
8. Step 6: Paint in the lighter values.
Mix the chocolate and vanilla to create lighter shades; fill in the brighter areas on the face. You can also mix in some pink so give it a warmer hue. Again, be sure not to forget to continue eating the ice cream throughout the whole process.
9. The completed project:
Your ice cream painting is complete!