5. We had many questions about Tilda Swinton’s hairstyle she wore to the Governor’s Ball.
6. Lena Dunham got a bowl cut.
7. And then, like Katy Perry, she also dyed it green.
2014: Year of slime hair?
8. Viola Davis took off her wig on the ABC show How to Get Away With Murder.
Revealing her natural hair on network television was a huge moment.
10. BeyoncÃ© got bangs.
11. She also rocked a bob.
12. Taylor Swift’s mane took headbanging to a new level at this year’s Grammys.
13. And then T. Swift got a haircut. And then so did approximately 4 million teenage girls.
14. Solange’s wedding afro was stunning.
And at some point, Bey adorned it with flowers. Solange wrote on her Insta: “Dreaming of these flowers my sister put in my hair at dinner. One by one they bloomed in my afro, and stayed there until I danced them away.”
15. Kim Kardashian broke the internet with her butt, but we were also looking at her Paper mag cover hairstyle. A spiky bun thing.
16. Artist FKA Twigs came onto the scene and reminded us how beautifully artistic baby hairs can be.
She also did amazing things with braids and buns, obviously.
17. Ariana Grande’s ponytail became one of history’s most famous ponytails.
18. And then when she wore her hair down it was like WHOA WHAT IS GOING ON.
20. Kylie Jenner, like the handsful of celebs before her, also dyed part of her hair a shade of green.
But this is special because it’s a deep, rich teal.
21. On OITNB, Crazy Eyes changed her signature hairstyle, which was a major plot development.
She’s apparently been wearing her knots since childhood, and we saw the moment she got this hairstyle — it was part of a pretty big reveal about Suzanne’s past.
22. Jim Carrey gave people bowl cuts on Hollywood Boulevard during an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel.
Americans willingly let Jim Carrey cut their hair. A very important moment.
23. Nicki Minaj gave a 5-year-old girl with cancer one of her signature pink wigs.
The pic she posted to her Instagram currently has 384k likes.
24. Just recently, Gwen Stefani was seen wearing this Tony the Tiger-esque stripe thing in her hair.
And people were confused.
25. Britney Spears also went for the ole chop chop.
She revealed her bob in September.
26. Hunger Games star Natalie Dormer had to shave half her head for the role of Cressida, and fully embraced it off-screen.
27. OITNB star Dascha Polanco played it up with a gray wig.
She also talked to BuzzFeed about hairstyles and wigs: “It’s 2014, baby. And you know what? We have to play. It’s time to play. There’s so much available to provide, share, and motivate each other. If something as simple as changing your hair makes you feel good, go for it. Why not?”